Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

One of Perth’s most respected workers’ compensation law firms. We negotiate the best payout for your circumstance!


FREE Initial Consultation

60+ Years Experience

Confidentiality Assured

FREE Claim Appraisal

Enter your details and our lawyers will conduct a complimentary claim review and contact you with the outcome.

    What is workers’ compensation?

    An injury or illness caused during your employment may entitle you to receive financial compensation as stipulated by the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981 (WA) (Act). All employers in WA are required by law to have a valid and current workers’ compensation insurance policy covering all employees for injuries or illnesses sustained at work. If you sustain an injury at work, please contact our no win-no fee personal injury lawyers to discuss what compensation you may be entitled to claim.

    Does mental injury count?

    A mental disorder can affect a person’s capacity to work and is classified as an injury or illness provided it was sustained at, or is a result of, work. There are various causes of mental disorders (or stress and anxiety) such as:

    • exposure by a worker to a traumatic event;
    • occupational violence against a worker;
    • harassment against a worker;
    • work pressure;
    • bullying directed at a worker.

    Anyone who is injured or becomes ill as a result of work and is defined as a worker pursuant to the Act, has a claim for workers’ compensation entitlements. Section 5 of the Act defines a “worker” as:

    • full-time;
    • part-time;
    • casual;
    • seasonal;
    • on commission;
    • a contractor and sub-contractor (with exceptions); and
    • a working director (with exceptions).

    What can i claim?

    Workers’ compensation entitlements include loss of earnings (also known as weekly payments), payable to you in the same manner and frequency that you are normally paid, which are capped (limited) to twice the average weekly earnings for an adult in WA.

    Also forming part of compensation entitlements are claims for medical expenses such as:

    • Ambulance;
    • First Aid;
    • GP and specialist attendances;
    • Hospitalisation;
    • Treatment;
    • Dental;
    • Physiotherapy;
    • Occupational therapy;
    • Chiropractic manipulations;
    • Psychiatry;
    • Psychology;
    • Pathology; and
    • Exercise programmes.

    Rehabilitation costs to assist you in staying in or returning to work due to the injury sustained at work are also claimable.

    Your reasonable travelling expenses incurred for trips to and from the medical treatments and appointments as well as trips to the rehabilitation provider are all claimable and form part of your compensation entitlements. You should keep a record of all such trips. If you live outside Perth, the costs of accommodation and meals are also claimable.

    You may be entitled to an additional lump sum payment (Schedule 2 payment) from the employer or its insurer if your injury or illness is a permanent physical or psychological impairment. This is dependent on the nature and extent of your injury after having been evaluated by a WorkCover WA approved doctor (Approved Medical Specialist or AMS) who will provide your Whole of Person Impairment (WPI) expressed as a percentage. The WPI assessment is normally provided when your condition has stabilised and will not change.

    Can I sue my employer?

    You may also be entitled to sue your employer in the District Court of Western Australia in certain circumstances and claim common law damages. Common law damages are damages that may be awarded to you by a judge (or agreed upon with your employer or its insurer prior to trial). To be awarded common law damages you will have to prove that the injury or illness you sustained at work was due to the negligence of your employer and must comply with the following requirements to commence a common law claim in the District Court of WA:

    • your WPI assessment by the AMS must be 15% or more; and
    • you must indicate your willingness to commence common law proceedings by electing to do so on an Election to Retain Right to Seek Damages Form before the expiry of 3 years from the date of the injury.

    What steps do i take?

    If you suffer an injury at work, you should report the injury immediately and take the following steps:

    • seek first aid immediately;
    • report the injury to your employer if you are able to do so;
    • go to the GP of your choice;
    • request your GP to complete a First Certificate of Capacity;
    • request a Claim Form from your employer;
    • complete the Claim Form and hand it to your employer with a copy of the First Certificate of Capacity as soon as possible within 12 months from the injury; and
    • keep copies of all documents
    • contact our workers compensation lawyers for assistance in the matter

    You are required to submit a notice of an injury and make a claim for compensation as soon as practically possible after an injury. If you allow the expiry of 12 months from the date of the injury, you would need to obtain legal advice, as it may be too late if you wait for the Termination Day to approach. If you do not progress with a legal claim (not just reporting a workers’ compensation claim) then you may lose your right to claim. We recommend that you contact us as soon as possible and we will attempt to get through the claim procedure as quickly as possible by seeking the relevant expert medical advice from your doctors to ensure that your claim is settled at the right time. We will answer all your questions about legal costs at the first free consultation with you. However, in the event of a successful resolution of your claim, your employer or its insurer will make a contribution to cover a large portion of your costs.

    Is the first consultation free?

    The first consultation with us is free with no obligation on your part to proceed. Our lawyers operate on a basis of no win, no fee. When we meet, we will advise on all costs upfront, as well as your options going forward.

    The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

    Call us now on 08 9371 5060


    Need more advice or want to
    start proceedings?

    Call Now Button